Ayurveda constitution test (Dosha test)
Vata, pitta or kapha? Take the test: assess your dosha type.
The foundation of ayurvedic knowledge is based on the three doshas - vata, pitta and kapha. They are also called dynamic, or energy, principles. Based on ”the study of the 5 elements“, ayurveda assumes that anything perceptible, including the human organism, is made of the 5 elements. Ether and air merge and become vata, fire and water become pitta and water and earth are the elements of kapha. The personal physical and mental qualities of each individual are shaped by the qualities and functions of the doshas.
- Character and personality
- External appearance
- Disposition towards diseases
Our bodily and mental wellbeing is controlled by vata, pitta and kapha. Every human being has all three dosha and is born with an individual distribution of the three energies (prakritis) which control their basic constitution. Usually one or two doshas are more dominant but sometimes all three vital energies are equally spread.
Beside vata, pitta and kapha constitutions, there are combinations such as vata-pitta, vata-kapha, pitta-kapha etc. There is also a tridosha constitution, which means that all three vital energies are in equal proportions.
There are no good or bad constitutions. Each person has their individual equilibrium. To maintain good health it is important to inhabit your individual equilibrium by following your innermost nature (prakriti). Our condition is powerful and vital. A persistent imbalance of the doshas, a disharmony of our inner balance, can disturb the natural functioning of our doshas. Therein lies the origin of the various diseases.
Take the test: assess your dosha type.
Please place a tick next to the correct answers. To determine your result, check which dosha type gets the most ticks. If two or three dosha types have the same number of ticks, then you are one of the mixed types. The dominatant dosha is the one for which you have ticked “Yes” the most.
Are you vata type?
- Are you rather graceful with a light physique?
- Do you hardly gain weight?
- Is your hair rather thin and fine?
- Do you have rather dry and sensitive skin?
- Do you often have cold hands and feet?
- Do you have an aversion to cold weather?
- Do you find it hard to concentrate on one thing at a time?
- Are you rather lacking in concentration and easily distracted?
- Are you creative and full of new ideas?
- Do you often get enthusiastic about things?
- Are your moods always changing?
- Do you tend to be nervous, fearful or rather restless?
- Do you often find it hard to go to sleep at night?
- Is your appetite irregular?
- Do you suffer from a rather poor digestion and flatulence?
- Do you tend to have disorders of the locomotor system such as a looseness of joints, muscles and ligaments?
- Do you often get headaches?
- Are you of medium build with average bodyweight and average size?
- Do you have sensitive skin with minor redness?
- Do you sweat lightly and often?
- Do you need physical activity for your wellbeing?
- Do you have an aversion to heat?
- Are you very ambitious?
- Do you tend to overstrain yourself?
- Do others describe you as being dominant with a ready temper?
- Do you seek personal challenges and do you like to lead?
- Do you have a pronounced organising talent?
- Are you a perfectionist and do you often put pressure on yourself?
- Do you have high levels of energy?
- Do you have a strong appetite?
- Do you get irritated and nervous when you are hungry?
- Do you often have diarrhoea?
- Do you often have inflammatory conditions (such as stinging eyes, stomach ulcers, heart burn or hot flushes)?
- Do you have a stable, rather heavy body?
- Do you have a tendency to be overweight?
- Are you often tired and listless?
- Do you find warmth beneficial?
- Are you patient, tenacious and methodical?
- Do you like to plan and organise things?
- Are you a very balanced person, “a rock in the waves”?
- Do you like routine?
- Do you find it hard to give up habits?
- Do you tend to be sleepy and sleep rather deeply?
- Do you avoid sporting activities when possible?
- Do you eat often and too much?
- Do you suffer from a slow and poor digestion?
- Are you often tired after eating?
- Do you suffer from oedemas?
- Do you suffer from colds and obstructions of the respiratory system?
Have you answered all questions? Your dominatant dosha is the one for which you have ticked “Yes“ the most.
VATA: the whirlwind may be turbulent
Elements: ether and air
Principle: movement, energy, speed, activity
Delicacy in the body’s structure and joints is a typical feature of vata.
Individuals with this constitution are slim and rather tall. They tend to have dry skin. Vata people are creative, have sensitive minds and are always moving. They are quick thinking and readily get excited by new subjects and information. Vata people love change. Nothing stays the way it is for very long. That goes for partnerships and friendships as well as for homes and travel. Vata people love to communicate but they shy away from conflict and are fearful and easily unsettled.
Vata people often suffer from cold hands and feet which is why they love being in the sun and abhor the cold. They are often envied for being able to eat and drink what they like without putting on weight.
Typical physical issues of the vata constitution are insomnia, nervousness, dry skin, flatulence, constipation, complaints of the musculoskeletal system (joints, tendons and ligaments).
PITTA - the hot blooded achievers
Elements: fire and water
Principles: energy, dynamism, performance
The physical appearance of a pitta person is of medium size with well-developed muscles. They are physically and mentally powerful. Their inner fire results in good circulation and a strong metabolism. The skin tends to be reddish to yellowish. Pitta people are often hungry and thirsty which can put them in a bad mood. Their inner heat makes them sweat easily. They can barely stand heat.
Pitta types are assertive and like to use their well-honed debating skills to win arguements. They have a sharp intellect and an urge to analyse everything. They are very efficient and succeed by being methodical and precise. They are not afraid of challenges or conflict and have great enthusiasm for solving problems. Because they like to be in control of everything their personality is rather dominant.
Pitta constitutions often suffer from acidification, inflammations, infectious diseases, skin diseases, elevated blood fat levels or high blood pressure as well as problems with their liver and other digestive organs.
KAPHA - the rock in the waves
Elements: earth and water
Principles: endurance, satisfaction, strength, serenity, solidity
Kapha types are physically compact and solidly built. They tend to be overweight and have rounded bodies, big eyes, strong teeth and hair. Their skin is rather oily. Their good immune system protects them against most diseases. Kapha types do not have a huge appetite but cannot resist sweets. Their digestive fire (agni) is rather poor.
Kapha constitutions have inner strength and stability. They keep calm even in hectic situations and are very persistent. Their movements and actions tend to be slow. They are known to be faithful and reliable. Because of their preference for security they always try to keep things as they are. Kapha people do a lot of thinking before they progress or change anything, they duly consider all risks. They avoid physical and mental movement which leaves little space for flexibility. A poor digestion, loss of appetite, diseases of the respiratory tract and excess weight are all typical kapha symptoms.
(The results of this test give you a first impression of your doshas. It cannot replace the individual analysis and advice of ayurveda therapists.)